Friday, October 9, 2015

iOS 9 on iPhone 6: First Impressions & Performance


                 


The iPhone 6 iOS 9 update is here and it brings a ton of changes to Apples former 4.7-inch flagship. Weve been using the official iPhone 6 iOS 9 release for several hours now and we want to provide you with some feedback about its performance so far.

In June, Apple confirmed an iOS 9 release for several devices including the iPhone 6, the flagship that arrived alongside the iPhone 6 Plus last year. The iOS 9 update represents the iPhone 6s first major iOS update and it follows in the footsteps of Apples iOS 8.4.1 update.

The iOS 9 update brings several new features including a News application and a revamped version of the popular Notes app. It also brings several enhancements including a supposed hour long boost to the iPhones battery life.

Its a big update for the iPhone 6 and its an update that many users have their eyes on as we push away from the iOS 9 release.

Advertisement
Like a good guinea pig, I downloaded the iPhone 6 iOS 9 update right when it was released. And per usual. I want to supply you with some initial feedback about the updates performance in the hours after the initial roll out.

These initial iPhone 6 iOS 9 update impressions dont serve as a final review but they should help those of you who are struggling over the decision to install now or wait a few hours or even a few days. Remember, there are some very valid reasons to wait.

iOS 9 Installation

I love and loathe iOS release day. Love it because of all the new features and all of the potential. Loathe it because there are always problems. iOS updates also have a tendency to hurt performance rather than help it so Im always leery ahead of release.

At 10:01AM PT, Apple released the iPhone 6 iOS 9 update. And right on cue I, like many others, ran into download issues. I dont like iTunes and typically avoid it at all costs. So, I download all of my updates Over-the-Air.
                              iOS-9

The iOS 9 OTA update failed to download on my iPhone 6. I fired up iTunes and managed to get iOS 9 downloaded on my iPhone 5 but I decided to wait and see how long it would take me to get it on board the iPhone 6. Self-torture, perhaps.

After about 30 minutes, the error message went away and I was able to download the iPhone 6 iOS 9 update. I was expecting more download problems but none came my way. I was able to get the 1GB (!) file downloaded and installed in about 15 minutes. That has to be a record for a major iOS update.

Download problems have continued to emerge in the aftermath of the update. If your download is showing long download times, wait a little bit or try changing connections. If your iOS 9 download gets stuck, hold down the home button and power button to get it unstuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment